Pan Indian participation in the LIGO Scientific Collaboration (LSC) is conducted through the LIGO-India Scientific Collaboration (LISC). This includes activities related to the LIGO-India observatory and participation in the various working groups of the LSC.
The Indian Initiative in Gravitational-wave Observations (IndIGO) consortium had been playing this pivotal role since 2012. Post the LIGO-India project approval and its formalisation through the management boards, the IndIGO group in the LSC was restructured as the LISC. An Executive Committee has been set up to manage the LISC. Its present members are Prof. Bala Iyer (ICTS-TIFR), Prof. Sanjit Mitra (IUCAA), Prof. Archana Pai (IIT Bombay) and Prof. Anil Prabhakar (IIT Madras). The current PI/Co-PI of LISC are Prof Archana Pai and Prof. Bala Iyer. All Policy decisions of LISC will be made by the LISC council. The Council comprises of all senior members from Indian groups at different institutions.
Present LISC Institutions
- Chennai Mathematical Institute (CMI), Chennai
- CSIR-Central Glass & Ceramic Research Institute (CGCRI), Kolkata
- Directorate of Construction, Services & Estate Management (DCSEM), Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER) - Kolkata, Kolkata
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER)- Pune, Pune
- Indian Institute for Technology (IIT) - Bombay, Mumbai
- Indian Institute for Technology (IIT) - Gandhinagar, Gandhinagar
- Indian Institute for Technology (IIT) - Hyderabad, Hyderabad
- Indian Institute for Technology (IIT) - Madras, Chennai
- Institute for Plasma Research (IPR), Gandhinagar
- International Centre for Theoretical Sciences, TIFR (ICTS-TIFR), Bengaluru
- Inter-University Centre for Astronomy & Astrophysics (IUCAA), Pune
- Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology (RRCAT), Indore
- Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics (SINP), Kolkata
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR), Mumbai
Groups interested in joining the LISC will contact the LISC PI to develop a mutually beneficial work plan based on the publicly available Program Document and White Papers keeping the LSC co-chairs informed. Their admission will be by vote of the LISC council. Subsequently, new groups and senior members will make a presentation to the LSC council for further processing.